EMERGENCY VEHICLE WARNING SYSTEMS
Traffic Warning & Intersection Pre-emption
ELTEC’s Emergency Vehicle Caution Systems (EVCS) are designed to alert motorists that an emergency vehicle is departing its parking bay.
When an emergency vehicle is about to emerge from its station and enter traffic, the EVCS provides either a CAUTION (yellow) or STOP (red) flashing beacon(s). The pole can be configured with one or two signals. The power source may be either AC or solar powered (DC).
Solar Powered, Wireless RRFB System with Pedestrian Verification Signal
Each system is designed to match the project requirements and street layout. Hardwired systems are available, but wireless radio activation is far less complicated; no trenching or boring to connect signals to the station activation point.
Multiple sites can be triggered simultaneously. For wireless radio systems, each receiver and transmitter are programmed with a unique address code, activating only receivers with the matching code. Any number of receivers can be set to a single address code. Advance warning signal poles can be positioned further down the road from the station exit.
Wall mounted cabinet
There are several options to activate the flashing beacons wirelessly:
- Wall mounted transmitter with push button in building
- On board/console mounted push button transmitter
- Hand-held transmitter
- Emitter (light or infrared signal) to receiver
Once activated, the signal(s) remain ON for a preset period of time. The flashing duration is user adjustable (1 second to 100 hours).
INTERSECTION PRE-EMPTION SYSTEM
As an option, ELTEC can provide a receiver that’s integrated into an intersection controller cabinet interrupting the controller’s normal cycle allowing the emergency vehicle ‘green light priority’ passage in the direction the emergency vehicle is traveling.
STANDARD SYSTEM FEATURES
A typical installation consists of a central activation device in the station. Outside, two or more poles support a small cabinet that houses the electronic controls: a flasher, receiver and timer. Solar powered systems include a charge controller, battery and apole-mounted solar panel.
- AC or DC Solar Powered
- System Flexibility: Tailored to Meet Project Requirements
- Programmable Timed Vehicle Exit
- CAUTION (amber) or STOP (red) Alerts: no price difference
- 8” or 12” Signal Heads: no price difference
- AC: Optional Battery Back-up
When AC power is not available or practical to power the signals, solar power is the answer. ELTEC’s solar powered systems are sized by geographical location and electrical load for optimal effectiveness guaranteeing sufficient power during the long winter months. Daytime dimming of any signal is not in compliance with FHWA
SOLAR POWERED FEATURES and BENEFITS
- Self Contained: No Electrical Bills
- No Power Interruption
- No Trenching or Boring for Cable
- Electrical Contractors: Technicians Not Required for Installation
- High Efficiency Self Cleaning Solar Panels
- 20 Year Warranty
- Choice of Mounting Rack: Side-of-Pole or Top-of-Pole
- Solid State FS-2 Flasher
- Controller with Display Showing: Battery Voltage, Solar Amps, Load Amps
- No Maintenance AGM Battery (performs better in cold climates)
- 5 Year Pro-rated Warranty
- Sized by Computer Program: Ensures Power Generated Meets/Exceeds Load
- No Charge for Analysis & Report
- Flash Rate is Constant at Selected Rate: Does NOT Vary as a Function of Battery Voltage
See Emergency Vehicle with 3 Signal Heads for a ‘real life’ story.
ELTEC’s EVCS system meets the Federal Highway Administration’s MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) specifications and ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers) standards.
Three solar powered red-yellow-green signal heads. Lights stay green until fire trucks exit.